This recipe is taken from the 2007 Milk Calendar. This is the The Best Banana Bread recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 1 h - 1 h 10
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter softened
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) mashed ripe bananas
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Butter a 9 x 5-inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
In measuring cup, whisk milk with lemon juice; set aside. In a bowl, combine all-purpose and whole wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
In large bowl, using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla extract until blended. Beat in bananas. With a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture alternately with milk mixture, making 3 additions of flour and 2 of milk, just until combined.
Spread into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake for 60 to 70 min or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 5 min. Turn out onto rack to cool completely.
Cooking Tip:For the most flavourful and moist banana bread, use bananas that are very ripe, with brown spots all over the peel, and mash well with a potato masher or fork.
For the Adventurous:Add 1 cup (250 mL) chopped toasted pecans or walnuts and 1/2 cup (125 mL) toffee bits after last addition of flour.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||5 % / 59 mg|
|Folate:||16 % / 36 mcg|
|Thiamin:||14 % / 0.2 mg|
|Iron:||12 % / 1.7 mg|
|Riboflavin:||12 % / 3 mg|