This recipe is taken from the 1999 Milk Calendar. Creamy baked rice and broccoli - an easy, delicious side dish or light lunch with a salad and sliced tomatoes. -James Barber
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 40 min
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) thyme
- 1 cup (250 mL) long-grain rice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped broccoli
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon zest
- Crumb Topping
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) melted butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
In a large skillet, sauté onion and garlic in butter for 1 minute over medium heat. Add thyme, rice and flour, stirring for 1 minute. Pour in chicken broth, stir and bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Stir in broccoli, milk and Canadian Parmesan cheese. Mix well and pour into a buttered 6-cup (1.5 L) casserole dish. Cover and bake for 35 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, to make crumb topping, toss together all ingredients; set aside.
Remove casserole from oven. Stir in lemon peel and sprinkle with crumb topping. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately.
For the adventurous: Instead of broccoli, use either 2 cups (500 mL) spinach, cooked, drained and chopped or 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||15 % / 160 mg|
|Vitamin C:||18 %|