Learn about the importance of including a variety of foods at meals with this Canada’s Food Guide activity.
To complete the Plate That Meal activity in an online learning environment, download the slide deck and follow the activity description below. Wrap up questions are provided to generate class discussion.
Before completing this activity, we recommend that you read the section “How to Talk about Food with Students” in the Teacher Guide.
Curricular links: Health and Life Skills
Student supplies: none
Format: class video discussion where you share slides (e.g., Google Meet)
- Explain to students that the aim of this activity is to make meals that include at least one food from each food category.
- Show students a slide with a mixed dish beside the Canada’s Food Guide Plate. They will try to identify whether it contains a food from each food category.
- Next, show students the answer slide that indicates if something was missing. Finally, students can suggest a food to add from the missing food category, if appropriate.
- If students need hints, review the Canada’s Food Guide Study Prints to help determine what may be missing.
- Which mixed dishes did not include at least one food from all three food categories?
- What did you add to these meals to make them fit the Canada’s Food Guide Plate?
- Are there any other foods you might add to the meal to suit your personal preferences?