Listen to “I Just Found a Kiwi in My Lunch” and have students create their own verses.
This video explores food using an engaging, and sometimes silly, karaoke sing-along to the tune of She’ll Be Coming ‘Round the Mountain. Using students’ five senses to describe food can create a safe space for food exploration without pressure to try the foods.
How to use this resource in your classroom:
- Watch and sing along to the I Just Found a Kiwi in My Lunch video.
- After watching the video, review the foods that were included and how the song used senses to describe them.
- Kiwis- sight (green, brown), touch (furry)
- Coconut- sight (white), taste (sweet), touch (hairy)
- Hummus- touch (creamy, pasty), taste (tasty)
- Cereal- sound (crunchy), sight (clustery)
- Milk- touch (cold, ticklish), sight (swooshy)
- Write a new verse for the song using the activity sheet below. Students can also illustrate their food choice in the lunch bag. This activity works well as a class, group or as an individual student.
- If students would like to share their verses, have them say or sing them to the class, another class or share with the principal!