Junior High Foods: DIY Meals and Snacks
Grades 7–9 Foods students will meet a CTF challenge and learn about Canada’s Food Guide through fun activities, creative recipes, and cooking lessons.
*This program is for junior high Foods teachers. If you are a junior high Health teacher, click here. The two programs are not designed to be delivered to the same classes.
Junior high Foods students explore Canada’s Food Guide (CFG) with DIY Meals and Snacks. Using engaging videos and activities, students
- practise creating meals and snacks using the CFG Plate;
- explore how choosing a variety of foods helps them to meet nutrient needs;
- examine factors that influence food choices; and
- apply their learning to create a signature dish.
This module meets CTF learning outcomes, has cross-curricular links and assessment tools, and can be adapted for high school Foods classes.
Teaching and Learning Resources
- Teacher Guide and nutrient graphs: The Teacher Guide provides all the background information you need to teach the program’s four lessons. Plus, it includes ready-to-use student and teacher assessment tools and a completed CTF Abridged Challenge form. The nutrient graphs are a detailed 8.5 × 11" card set to use as a teaching tool for one of the activities. You can order a Teacher Guide and a set of nutrient graphs from our Free Resources page or download them below as PDFs.
- Student Workbook: The Student Workbook includes activity worksheets, customizable recipes, and student assessment tools for each lesson. You can order class sets of workbooks from our Free Resources page or download them below as PDFs.
- Slide decks: The slide decks are the main teaching tools for the lessons. They contain videos, background information, activity instructions, and discussion questions. Suggested speaking notes and additional information for teachers are provided in the notes section of each slide. You can access the slide decks for each lesson below.
- Videos: A Canada’s Food Guide transformation video embedded in the slide deck introduces each lesson. Six cooking videos demonstrating key steps and cooking techniques for the recipes are included in the program and embedded in the slide decks. You can access the videos for each lesson below.