Yield: 160 mL (2/3 cup) of salad per child
Your kids will love this tasty and colourful quinoa salad filled with veggies and cheese.
An illustrated recipe for the kids to follow!
With your help, the kids can scroll through the photos showing each step of the recipe on a mobile device (i.e. smartphone, tablet).
A PDF version of the cooking activity is available for download. It includes the recipe, discussion topics and nutrition tidbits.
Ingredients per child
- 1 15 mL (1 tbsp) frozen kernel corn
- 2 15 mL (1 tbsp) dry quinoa
- 3 2 mini Bocconcini
- 4 2 slices (1 cm thick) of zucchini (medium-sized)
- 5 1 slice of red, yellow or orange bell pepper
- 6 1 mint leaf
- 7 Dressing: 5ml (1 tsp) white wine vinegar, 5ml (1 tsp) olive oil, 5ml (1 tsp) 100% pure orange juice, 1 dash of lime zest, a few drops of maple syrup, salt (to taste), pepper (to taste)
Utensils per child : 1 small spoon, 1 small bowl, 1 pair of scissors, 1 butter knife, 1 cutting board.
Utensils per group: 80 mL (1/3 cup) dry measuring cup, 15 mL (1 tbsp) measuring spoon, 5 mL (1 tsp) measuring spoon and 1 small spoon.
Utensils for the adult (not pictured) : 1 cutting board, 1 paring knife, 1 zester/grater, 15 mL (1 tbsp) measuring spoon, 1 liquid measuring cup.
1. Before the cooking activity (steps for the adult/educator)
- Rinse 250 mL (1 cup) of quinoa in a sieve (fine mesh strainer). Add the quinoa and 500 mL (2 cups) of water to a large casserole dish and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, lower heat to minimum and cover. Cook until quinoa is tender (about 15 minutes). Transfer cooked quinoa to a bowl. Tip: It’s easier to prepare quinoa ahead of time and refrigerate it overnight so that it is cold for the cooking activity.
- Wash the bell pepper, zucchini, lime and mint.
- Cut the bell pepper and zucchini.
- Pour the corn into a bowl and let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator or heat in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Drain the mini Bocconcini and put in a bowl.
2. Handing out ingredients and cooking utensils
- Hand out ingredients and cooking utensils to each child.
- Place shared (group) cooking utensils in the centre of the table.
3. In front of the children
- Grate/zest the lime for salad dressing.
- Make the salad dressing with the children
Suggested variation from our team!
For different flavours and textures, replace quinoa with rice, pasta, bulgur or even barley!