Curious Cook Videos
Videos and activities that help children learn how
foods are grown and produced
Join Sam to visit a dairy farm, a strawberry u-pick and grain farm.
Swipe to view all videos and scroll down for the activities
After watching the videos, continue the learning using the activities below.
Early Childhood Educators
- “♫ Milk comes from cows on dairy farms, dairy farms, dairy farms ♫”. Download, print and sing these food-themed songs together to learn about food through music.
- Make play dough using wheat flour. Children can use the dough in pretend play to make pizzas, bread, cookies or muffins!
- Make a simple no-cook strawberry jam together. Mash ½ cup of strawberries in a bowl and stir in ¼ tsp sugar and 1 tsp of chia seeds. Leave in the fridge overnight to set. Serve as a snack with cheese and crackers the next day.
- Make a No Blender Smoothie together. Discuss how each ingredient is produced and which ones are local to your community.
- Have students brainstorm foods that are made from wheat. Consider doing a tasting in class. For example, try different breads made from wheat like croissants, bannock, buns or naan.
- Decorate the room by making a Food Garland. Ask children to decorate the garland template with colourful drawings of local foods, like strawberries, milk and wheat!