Roasted tomatoes and feta, what's not to love? This recipe is creamy and packed with flavor.
Easy to Make, Easy to Love. Recipes to Share with Others.
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 pints (1000 mL) grape tomatoes, stems removed
- 1 small onion, diced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh basil, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) dried thyme
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) crushed pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 block (200 g) Canadian Feta cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) whole grain penne pasta, dry
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200 °C).
- Add tomatoes, onion, basil, garlic, olive oil, thyme, pepper flakes and pepper to a large casserole dish. Mix to combine.
- Nestle the block of feta in the middle of the dish, surrounded by the tomatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes until most of the tomatoes have burst open.
- Cook pasta in a large pot according to the package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water before draining.
- Lightly mash the tomato and feta mixture with a potato masher or a fork.
- Combine the drained pasta with the tomato mixture. Add pasta cooking water if the mixture seems dry.
- Stir in basil before serving.
Boost Flavour & Protein
Add sliced olives.
Stir in cooked shrimp, chicken or beef or canned white beans.
Get Kids in the Kitchen
Tweens and teens can chop vegetables, cook the pasta and handle the hot casserole dish.
Younger children can spread ingredients in the casserole dish, mash roasted feta and tomatoes and stir in pasta. Take this opportunity to teach the importance of being careful around (or with) hot items in the kitchen.
Print recipeClick here