This handbook is packed with practical information about organizing and running cooking classes in elementary schools. Designed by Commission scolaire de Montréal (CSDM), Direction régionale de santé publique du CIUSSS du Centre-sud-de-l’Île-de-Montréal, Équiterre and team of Registered Dietitians at Dairy Farmers of Canada, this guide features much more than recipes!
What's in the handbook:
- An introduction outlining the benefits of cooking classes, in terms of developing healthy eating habits as well as supporting children's overall development and competency development in the Quebec Education Program.
- A table of contents outlining all the main steps and sub-steps
- Icons linking to related fact sheets or tools in the appendix or additional resources
- Clear and useful diagrams and illustrations
- Detailed information about the steps and sub-steps of planning, preparing for, running and evaluating the results of a cooking class
- Fact sheets:
- How children develop through cooking classes
- Eco-friendly cooking classes
- Ways to keep the cost of a recipe down
- Food allergies
- Food safety
- A variety of nutritious recipes
- Cooking vocabulary
- Useful resources:
- Yearly planning calendar
- Cooking class preparation tool
- Responsibility chart
- Sample letters to parents
- Practical resources and reference documents
Watch the webinar to learn more about the handbook and the various concepts it covers!
Get your handbook!Order
Watch this video (in French only) for ideas of how you can bring cooking classes to your school daycare or extended day program : "Les activités culinaires en service de garde scolaire".
How to AccessOnline Order
Our personal tips
Want to offer regular cooking classes? Read through the handbook during your planning period—you'll find all the planning steps already laid out for you!
Cooking classes do not have to be complicated. You can start with a simple, no-bake recipe with only a few steps and a couple of ingredients. You'll have a positive experience, and you and your students will be hungry for more!