What is body image?
Body image is combination of how a person sees themselves and how they feel about their body. It also includes how a person thinks others see them. Having a healthy body image includes feeling safe and comfortable in your body and feeling good about the things it can do.
Having poor body image can include feeling ashamed of your body and wanting to change it.
How can I help my students develop a healthy body image?
- Encourage children to identify things they like about themselves that are not related to how they look.
- Do not allow name-calling or teasing in the classroom.
- Teach children that healthy bodies come in many shapes and sizes. All bodies are good bodies!
- Remind students choosing nutritious foods, getting enough sleep and taking part in fun physical activities are important for people of all sizes.
- Teach children that it is normal for bodies to grow and change as they get older.
- Be a healthy body image role model. Ensure that if you talk about your own body, you do so in a positive way.
Healthy body image activity:
Ask students to think of three things they like about themselves or three things they are good at. Use this activity to show that everyone has different strengths that are part of what makes them unique and special.