This chicken and rice with a hint of spice is a good introduction to curry dishes. The Cream mellows the curry spices while still allowing the fabulous flavour to shine through. For the more adventurous family members, add hot pepper sauce on each serving or top with hot fruit chutney.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 35 min - 40 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) mild Indian yellow curry paste or powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 4 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 4 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup (250 mL) parboiled (Converted) long-grain white rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour or rice flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) 10 % cream or 18 % cream
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) thawed frozen peas
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt
- Fruit chutney, raisins and/or chopped cilantro or mint optional
In a large non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, curry paste and salt; cook, stirring, for about 2 min or until starting to soften. Add chicken and cook, turning chicken and stirring onions, for 4 to 5 min (or 2 to 3 min for boneless) or until chicken is white all over.
Stir in rice until coated in spices. Stir in broth. Whisk flour into Cream and gradually stir into pan. Bring just to a boil, stirring often.
Turn chicken pieces smooth side up, if necessary, and arrange evenly around pan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 25 min (or 20 min for boneless) or until rice is almost tender.
Gently stir in peas; cover and simmer for 5 min until juices run clear when chicken is pierced and rice is tender. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 min. Serve topped with yogurt and chutney, raisins and/or cilantro or mint (if using).
If your stove has a simmer burner, use a larger burner for steps 1 and 2, then switch to the simmer burner for step 3 to prevent the rice from sticking. If you don’t have a simmer burner, stir rice part way through cooking to prevent sticking.
Add 1 minced hot pepper and 2 tbsp (30 ml) minced gingerroot with the onion.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||18 % / 199 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||63 %|
|Vitamin B6:||50 %|