Bananas Foster is usually served up as a warm flambéed banana dessert. With the same idea, we make up a fabulous pancake recipe that kids will enjoy eating and making. Try making some fun shapes while you’re cooking at home and get those creative juices flowing.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 16 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) sour cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter melted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter for cooking (approx.)
- Bananas Foster Topping
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) packed brown sugar
- 3 bananas peeled and sliced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh orange juice
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk together sugar, egg, milk, sour cream, melted butter, orange zest and vanilla. Pour over flour mixture and whisk gently to combine.
In a large nonstick skillet or griddle, over medium heat, pour about ¼ cup (50 mL) batter per pancake. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, turning once or until golden. Repeat with remaining butter and batter; adjusting heat as necessary to prevent burning.
Bananas Foster Topping
: Meanwhile in another large nonstick skillet, melt butter and sugar over medium heat; stirring until combined. Add bananas, cinnamon and orange juice; cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until bananas soften and are coated with butter mixture.
Serve pancakes topped with Bananas Foster Topping.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||16 % / 174 mg|
|Vitamin A:||20 %|