This recipe is taken from the 2016 Milk Calendar. A baking classic with a tasty citrus twist.
- Prep: 15 min
- Baking Time: 45 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) orange juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter softened
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- Lemon syrup
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Generously butter an 8 x 4-inch (1.5 L) loaf pan.
In a small bowl, stir lemon and orange juice with milk. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat lemon and orange zest with butter and sugar until well blended and creamy, about 2 min. Beat in egg, scraping down sides, then vanilla until blended. Beat in dry ingredients, alternating with milk mixture, making 3 additions of dry and 2 of milk, just until smooth.
Scrape batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake for 45 to 50 min or until a tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool loaf in pan for 5 min. Invert onto a rack, set over a baking sheet.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, stir together lemon juice and sugar. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 min to thicken slightly. Remove from heat.
Using a thin skewer, poke lots of holes, you can’t really overdo it, all over top of warm cake. Slowly spoon warm syrup over top of cake. Cool completely.
Use unsalted butter in baking if you can, that way you control the salt.
Try grilling cake slices and serving with fresh berries and whipped cream. Substitute lime zest and juice for lemon.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||7 % / 81 mg|