This recipe is taken from the 1990 Milk Calendar. This is the Creamy Pasta Salad with Bacon and Tomato recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 10 min - 15 min
- Refrigeration: 1 h
- 8 slices of bacon diced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 3 cups (750 mL) rotini or other short pasta
- 2 cups (500 mL) seeded diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced celery
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) thinly sliced green onions
Cook bacon in medium saucepan until crisp. Drain, reserving 2 tbsp (30 mL) drippings. Set bacon aside.
Blend flour, sugar, salt, basil and garlic powder into bacon drippings.
Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens; remove from heat. Beat eggs in small bowl; add a little hot milk mixture, then stir eggs into hot sauce. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture thickens, 2 to 3 min longer. Blend in vinegar and mustard. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Cool.
Cook rotini according to package directions. Drain; rinse in cold water; drain again. Combine pasta, tomatoes, celery, green onions and cooled dressing. Toss well. Chill 1 hour to blend flavours.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||10 % / 115 mg|