“It’s got a creamy, cheesy noodle inside, with four different Dutchman’s cheeses, and a crunchy broccoli-kale-Brussels sprout crust on top.”
- Chef Andrew Farrell, winner of The Grate Canadian Cheese Cook-Off 2014 Mac & Cheese Edition
- Prep: 1 h
- Cooking: 35 min - 40 min
- 1 lb (450 g) macaroni
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 4 cups (1 L) whole milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35 % cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 7 cups (1.75 L) That Dutchman’s Medium Gouda shredded
- 1 3/4 cups (430 mL) That Dutchman’s Smoked Gouda shredded
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) That Dutchman’s Dragon’s Breath Blue crumbled
- 2 cups (500 mL) kale stemmed, torn
- 1 cup (250 mL) Brussels sprouts shaved
- 1 cup (250 mL) broccoli florets thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) That Dutchman’s Old Growler Gouda shredded
- 1 cup (250 mL) Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) melted butter
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni for half the time directed on package. Drain and cool under cold water; set aside.
In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat; add onion and sauté for 2 minutes or until softened. Stir in flour and cornstarch; cook, stirring until smooth. Gradually stir in milk and cream; cook, stirring until smooth and thickened, about 7 minutes. Add mustard, Worcestershire Sauce, hot sauce, pepper and nutmeg.
Remove from heat; slowly stir in Medium and Smoked Gouda and Blue cheeses. Stir in macaroni. Pour into prepared dish; set aside.
Preheat oven to 425 °F (220 °C).
In a large bowl, toss together kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, oil, salt and pepper; spread evenly over a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until greens are wilted.
In medium bowl, combine cheese, breadcrumbs and butter; stir in greens and sprinkle over macaroni. Place baking dish on rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Blue cheese, Smoked, Medium and Aged Gouda.
Nutritional informationPer serving