This recipe is taken from the 1986 Milk Calendar. This is the Double Fudge Chocolate Cake recipe.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 45 min - 50 min
- 4 oz (120 g) unsweetened or semisweet chocolate chopped coarsely
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) boiling water
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter
- 2 1/4 cups (560 mL) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (560 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- Fudge Icing
- 8 oz (240 g) semisweet chocolate chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 3 cups (750 mL) icing sugar sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) vanilla extract
- 4 oz (120 g) Canadian Cream cheese
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Butter two 9-in (24 cm) cake pans. Line with parchment or waxed paper rounds. Butter again.
Combine chopped chocolate and cocoa. Pour boiling water over mixture. Stir to melt. Cool slightly. Cream butter. Beat in sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla extract and melted chocolate.
Sift flour with baking powder and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix ingredients only until blended.
Divide batter between pans. Bake 45 to 50 min or until center springs back when lightly pressed. Allow to cool 10 min. Invert onto cooking racks.
Place chocolate, cocoa, milk and butter in top of a double boiler. Heat gently over simmering water just until chocolate melts. Mixture should be smooth. Cool slightly. Beat in icing sugar and vanilla extract. Chill until spreadable.
Combine 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the Fudge Icing with the Cream cheese. Beat until smooth. Reserve for the decoration.
Using the Fudge Icing sandwich the two layers of cake together. Frost the top and sides. Decorate as desired with the chocolate frosting with the Cream cheese
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||6 % / 65 mg|
|Vitamin A:||14 %|