This recipe is taken from the 1986 Milk Calendar. This perfect summer salad uses a dressing based on milk instead of oil. The result? Great taste, fewer calories.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dry mustard
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- of Cayenne pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) white horseradish
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 3 lbs (1.5 Kg) new potatoes or red potatoes
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) black olives drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine salt, mustard, brown sugar, flour and cayenne in the top of a double boiler (or heavy saucepan). Add milk and egg yolks. Stir until smooth. Cook over boiling water (or medium heat), stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in butter and vinegar. Chill thoroughly.
Scrub potatoes (or peel). Cut potatoes into 2-in (5 cm) pieces. Place in cold water, bring to a boil, cook until tender. Drain well.
Combine potatoes with green onions, red onions and olives. Stir horseradish and mustard into dressing. Season to taste. Add all or as much as you wish to potatoes. Combine well. Season to taste.
Note: Refrigerated, this keeps well for up to 1 week.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||11 % / 125 mg|
|Vitamin C:||65 %|
|Vitamin B6:||25 %|
|Vitamin B12:||21 %|