This recipe is taken from the 2013 Milk Calendar. Baked into gorgeous golden, wonderfully moist muffins with warm spices, a touch of honey and a hit of chocolate, zucchini never tasted so good.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) liquid honey
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) melted butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed orange or lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded zucchini (about 1 small)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Butter nonstick miniature muffin pans or line with paper liners.
In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat and all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together egg, milk, honey, butter and orange juice until blended. Pour over dry ingredients and sprinkle with zucchini and chocolate chips; stir just until moistened.
Spoon into prepared muffin pans filling 24 deep cups or 36 shallow cups. Bake, in batches as necessary, for 15 to 18 min or until tops are firm to the touch. Let cool in pan for 5 min. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
Replace chocolate chips with chopped toasted pecans, walnuts or almonds and/or add 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh gingerroot in place of ground, adding it with the juice.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||5 % / 54 mg|