This recipe is taken from the 2017 Milk Calendar. Classic carrot muffins can never be replaced, but this new take incorporates even more healthy ingredients – ideal for breakfast or an after-school snack.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 18 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) wheat bran
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter melted and cooled
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fancy molasses
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) coarsely grated carrots or zucchini or a combination of both
- 1/2 cups (125 mL) pitted and chopped Medjool dates
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Butter a muffin pan or line with paper liners.
In a large bowl, whisk all-purpose flour with bran, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk milk with egg, butter and molasses. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture until barely combined. Stir in carrots and/or zucchini and dates just until mixed.
Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake 18 to 22 min or until a tester inserted in centre of muffins comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan for 10 min. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Fancy molasses and blackstrap molasses are different. Fancy is milder and better suited to baking.
Little hands are perfect for pitting the dates, then cutting using scissors.
Add orange zest and chopped dried apricots and dried cranberries.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||11 % / 119 mg|
|Vitamin A:||17 %|