Not only are these raisin & bran buttermilk muffins a terrific source of your daily recommended fibre, they are also a delicious way to start your day. This recipe is taken from the 2007 Milk Calendar.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) bran cereal (type All-Bran or 100 % Bran)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) raisins
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) Milk soured* or buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter melted
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) molasses
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Butter nonstick muffin pans or line with paper liners.
In a bowl, combine bran cereal, raisins and soured milk; let stand for 5 min. In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Whisk sugar, egg, butter and molasses into milk mixture. Pour over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Bake for about 25 min or until tops are firm to the touch. Let cool in pan for 5 min. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
*You can replace buttermilk by sour milk or yogourt. To make sour milk, add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of white vinegar to 1 cup (250 mL) milk.
For the Adventurous: Replace half of the raisins with dried cranberries and/or dried blueberries. Add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger with dry ingredients.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||10 % / 107 mg|