This recipe is taken from the 1999 Milk Calendar. A new twist to an old favourite! Ground beef, peppers and corn with a touch of Southern spices and topped with creamy mashed sweet potatoes. -James Barber
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 40 min
- 1 3/4 lb (790 g) sweet potatoes (3 medium)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 lb (450 g) lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Milk
- 1 beef broth cube or 1 tsp (5 mL) instant beef broth
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) red or green (or both) bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced green onion
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
Peel sweet potatoes. Cut into chunks and microwave on High with 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the water in a covered casserole dish for 10 to 12 minutes or until soft. Drain; set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic for 1 minute. Add beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain any excess fat. Sprinkle flour over meat and mix well. Add remaining water, 1 cup (250 mL) of the milk, broth, thyme and chili powder, stirring well. Mix in vegetables and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon into a 10 cup (2.5 L) shallow casserole dish; set aside.
Mash sweet potatoes with remaining milk and salt. Add egg and beat until smooth, adding more milk if necessary. Stir in onion tops and spoon mixture over beef.
Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||12 % / 127 mg|
|Vitamin A:||197 %|
|Vitamin B12:||60 %|
|Vitamin C:||58 %|