This is the Spooky Ghost Calzone with Mozzarella recipe.
- 8 slices of bacon minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooking apples (Cortland, Empire, Gala, Delicious, etc.) peeled and diced small
- 6 green onions chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) maple syrup
- About 2 lb (900 g) homemade or store-bought pizza dough
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) diced or grated blend of Canadian Mozzarella and Canadian Colby
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh parsley chopped
- About 20 black olive slices
Preheat oven to 425oF (220oC).
In a large skillet, cook bacon on medium heat. Remove excess fat from skillet, then return to burner.
Add apples and green onions, and cook 5 minutes.
Incorporate syrup, and generously season with pepper. Allow syrup to reduce for 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool.
Meanwhile, divide pizza dough into 10 or 12 parts.
On a floured work surface, use a rolling pin to roll out each part into an oval shape about 9˝ (23 cm) long and 4˝ (10 cm) wide.
Add cheese and parsley to the bacon/apple mix. Mix well and evenly distribute onto each oval, forming a ball in the centre.
Fold the dough lengthwise over the mixture. Press the edges together to close the calzones, then crimp the dough along the bottom to shape the ghosts. Pierce two eyes in the part made round by the mixture.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until dough is deep golden brown.
Make ghost eyes stand out by decorating them with black olive slices.
Suggestion: Calzone filling can also be prepared with ham.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||16 % / 174 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||33 %|