Lasagna is always a popular dish to feed a large group. The light rosé sauce and bounty of spring asparagus give this version a fresh twist.
- Prep: 45 min
- Cooking: 1 h 5
- 2 1/4 lbs (1 Kg) asparagus trimmed and cut into pieces
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 lb (450 g) light or regular Canadian ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh basil or fresh parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) 10 % cream
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 16 oven-ready lasagna pasta
- 1 cup (250 mL) Canadian mozzarella or Provolone cheese shredded
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In a large pot of boiling water, blanch asparagus for 3 min. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain well; set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Butter a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) glass baking dish.
In a bowl, combine egg, Canadian ricotta, basil and a pinch of salt and pepper. In a saucepan, combine cream and water; whisk in flour, 1/2 tsp (1 mL) salt and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, for 10 to 15 min or until bubbling and thickened. Remove from heat; whisk in pasta sauce and half of the Canadian Parmesan.
Spread 1 cup (250 mL) of sauce in bottom of dish; top with 4 pasta, trimming to fit. Spread with 1/3 of the sauce then 1/3 of asparagus. Top with 4 lasagna ; spread with ricotta mixture. Repeat layers with remaining pasta, sauce and asparagus. Cover with foil and bake for 45 min or until sauce is bubbling. Uncover; sprinkle with Canadian mozzarella and remaining Parmesan. Bake for 20 min or until noodles are tender and top is golden. Let stand for 10 min before serving.
The lasagna can be baked, cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat, covered, in a 350 °F (180 °C) oven for about 1 hour, uncovering for the last 10 min.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||26 % / 284 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||31 %|