This recipe is taken from the 1993 Milk Calendar. This is the Stir Fry Beef and Broccoli recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- 1 lb (450 g) flank or sirloin steak thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) Milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped or grated fresh ginger root
- 3 green onions chopped
- 8 oz (250 g) mushrooms sliced
- 1 red or green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 pkg 10 oz (300 g) frozen broccoli spears cut into 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) chunks
Marinate beef sliced in soy sauce, water and cornstarch for 15 min while preparing remaining ingredients.Combine milk with hoisin sauce, soy sauce and cornstarch. Stir until smooth. Reserve.
Heat oil in a wok or large skillet. Add garlic, ginger and green onions. Cook 30 seconds until fragrant. Add mushrooms and red pepper. Cook 2 min. Add beef slices. Cook until browned.Stir sauce again. Add to beef. Cook until mixture comes to a boil. Add broccoli pieces. Cover pan. Cook 3 to 4 min until broccoli is heated through and sauce is thick.
You can use fresh or frozen broccoli in this recipe. If using frozen, do not defrost before adding to recipe. If using fresh, trim one bunch, cut into chunks and cook according to recipe below until broccoli is tender- approximately 6 to 7 min.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||11 % / 120 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||110 %|
|Vitamin C:||83 %|