By Chef Nicole Gomes, Executive Chef
Nicole Gourmet, Calgary, AB
This easy gourmet macaroni and cheese is a favourite! The sweetness of the apples and addition of the sharp beer really add a new dimension. You can fancy it up even further by adding your morning's leftover bacon or last night's roast ham.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- Baking time: 45 min
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups (750 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crème fraiche
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) strong IPA beer (7%)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly grated nutmeg
- Pasta Apple Cheese Layer
- 3 cups (750 mL) mini lumaconi or elbow pasta
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter
- 3 cups (750 mL) peeled and grated Golden Delicious apples (about 3 large)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Panko breadcrumbs toasted
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) lightly packed shredded Black River Medium Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) lightly packed shredded Canadian Muenster cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) lightly packed shredded Gunn’s Hill Five Brothers cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) lightly packed shredded Sylvan Star Canadian Smoked Gouda Cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) lightly packed shredded Canadian Raclette Cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°F).
In large pot, melt butter on medium-high heat. Add flour and bay leaf and whisk until smooth; cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Whisk in milk in a slow steady stream. Whisk until smooth; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking constantly, until thick enough to coat spoon, about 8 to 12 minutes. Turn off heat. Whisk in crème fraiche, beer, mustard, salt, and nutmeg. Remove and discard bay leaf.
Pasta Apple Cheese Layer
: In large pot of boiling, salted water, cook pasta 3 minutes under the package directions. Drain and rinse lightly. Set aside.
Meanwhile, in medium skillet, melt butter on medium heat. Add apples and any accumulated juices; sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. In small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and oil; set aside.
Spread one-half of the pasta in 13x9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish. Pour one-half of the sauce, top with one-half each of the Cheddar, Muenster, Five Brothers, Smoked Gouda, and Raclette cheeses. Top with one-half of the apples and stir lightly. Repeat with remaining pasta, sauce, cheeses and apples; stir lightly. Sprinkle evenly with reserved breadcrumb mixture on top.
Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake uncovered until hot, breadcrumbs are light golden brown and edges are bubbling, about 45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
Make sure to cook pasta 3 minutes less than what is indicated on the package.
You can fancy it up even further by adding your morning's leftover bacon or last night's roast ham.
If you can’t find Canadian Raclette, you can try using a creamy Canadian Havarti instead.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||62 % / 682 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||77 %|