Enjoy the delicious combination of apples and Canadian Cheddar cheese in a new way by spreading it on crackers and serving it to guests as an easy appetizer during the busy holiday season.
- Prep: 15 min
- 1 red apple cored
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Canadian Cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) 10 % cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) orange or white Canadian Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh chives or green onions chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- Chives or thin apple slices (optional)
- Crackers, flatbreads and/or celery sticks
Using large holes of a box–cheese grater, grate the apple and squeeze out juice; set grated apple aside.
In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, beat Cream cheese and cream until smooth. Stir in grated apple, Canadian Cheddar cheese, maple syrup, chives, Dijon mustard and garlic until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hr to blend flavours or for up to 2 days. (Spread will thicken upon standing.) Transfer to serving container and garnish with chives and/or apple slices (if using). Serve with crackers, flatbreads and/or celery sticks.
1 serving = 1 tbsp (15 mL)For true cheese lovers, look for 3-year Canadian Sharp Cheddar cheese to use in this recipe to showcase its sharp bite that tastes delicious with the sweet crisp apple.
Maple Cheddar Cheese Option: Omit maple syrup and Canadian Extra Old Cheddar cheese and substitute 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Canadian Maple Cheddar cheese.
Smoked Cheddar Option: Omit Canadian Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese and substitute 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Canadian smoked Sharp Cheddar cheese.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||3 % / 29 mg|
|Vitamin A:||3 %|
|Vitamin B12:||5 %|