This recipe is taken from the 1998 Milk Calendar. Cinnamon and apples baking in the oven make a house smell like home. This lovely cake is good hot or cold. Serve it with a good dollop of whipped cream - it's lovely! -James Barber
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 30 min - 35 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) bread crumbs
- 3 apples cored and sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) slivered almonds toasted
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- Cake Batter
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) ground almonds
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
To make topping, butter a 13 x 9 inch (33 x 23 cm) baking pan. Sprinkle bread crumbs in the pan; set aside.
In a bowl, toss apple slices with brown sugar, slivered almonds and cinnamon. Arrange apple mixture evenly on bottom of the pan.
To make cake batter, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in ground almonds and eggs. Stir in the remaining ingredients until smooth. Spoon batter over apples.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Place on a cooling rack for 15 minutes. To invert, place cooling rack on top of the cake, turn cake upside down and carefully remove pan.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||15 % / 163 mg|