Applesauce Spice Bran MuffinsOur dietitians' favourite
This recipe is taken from the 2000 Milk Calendar. Not like any bran muffin you've had before; the blend of spices and applesauce make these muffins tasty and moist.
- Prep: 15 min - 20 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 3 cups (750 mL) wheat bran
- 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) raisins or chopped dates
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) nutmeg
- Grated rind of a lemon or an orange
- 1 cup (250 mL) applesauce
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups (560 mL) Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fancy molasses
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C). Lightly butter or spray 24 nonstick muffin pans.
In a large bowl, combine bran, flour, raisins, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg and rind.
In separate bowl, beat together applesauce, sugar, oil and eggs until well mixed; stir in milk and molasses. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just enough to moisten. Be careful not to overmix. Spoon into prepared muffin pans. Bake for 20 min or until tops are firm to the touch.
For the Adventurous: Use chopped dried cranberries instead of raisins.
Freezing Tip: These big-batch muffins freeze well. To reheat, simply wrap a frozen muffin in a paper towel and microwave at High for 30 seconds.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||6 % / 70 mg|