This recipe is taken from the 1981 Milk Calendar. Some produce, like asparagus, is available for so brief a period of time that it seems a shame not to eat as much of it as possible. For a savoury light lunch on a warm day try this soufflé roll with its filling of fresh asparagus and tangy cheese. Serve it with our simple sauce of sour cream and mustard.
- Prep: 20 min - 25 min
- Cooking: 15 min - 20 min
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) butter
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Canadian Cheddar cheese shredded
- 7 eggs separated
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb (450 g) asparagus blanched, drained and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Canadian Swiss cheese shredded
- 1 cup (250 mL) sour cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
Line a 15 x 10-inch (43 x 28 cm) jelly roll pan with foil; butter well.
Melt 1/3 cup (80 mL) butter in saucepan; stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to boil, stirring. Simmer until thick. Blend in Canadian Cheddar and lightly beaten egg yolks; remove from heat.
Beat egg white with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Fold one third whites into cheese mixture. Carefully fold in remaining whites. Turn into prepared pan. Bake at 350 °F (180 °C) for 15 to 20 min, until puffed and firm to the touch.
While soufflé roll is baking, sauté onion and almonds in 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp (15 mL) flour; stir to blend. Add seasonings and asparagus. Stir for 5 min; or until most moisture evaporates. Remove from heat.
With metal spatula, loosen edges of soufflé roll; turn out on tea towel; remove foil gently. Spread asparagus mixture gently on top; sprinkle with cheese. Roll up jelly-roll fashion; place on serving dish. Let stand a few minutes in warm oven.
Mix sour cream and mustard together, serve over soufflé roll.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||34 % / 369 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||80 %|