Baked Apple Rhubarb Cobbler
This recipe is taken from the 2013 Milk Calendar. Rhubarb’s tangy flavour and pinky-red colour is wonderful to incorporate into simple desserts like this one. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of honey-sweetened whipped cream.
- Prep: 15 min - 20 min
- Cooking: 30 min - 40 min
- 4 cups (1 L) chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced peeled cooking apples
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) liquid honey
- Grated zest of 1 orange or lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter melted
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) liquid honey
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) orange or lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped toasted walnuts or hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Butter a 13 x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish.
In prepared baking dish, combine rhubarb, apples, honey and orange zest; spread evenly.
Topping: In a bowl, whisk together egg, milk, butter, honey and orange juice. Without stirring, sprinkle with flour, walnuts, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon just until moistened.
Pour topping evenly over fruit, spreading gently to cover. Bake for 30 to 40 min or until fruit is bubbling, topping is golden and tester inserted in centre of topping comes out clean. Let stand for at least 5 min before serving. Serve hot or warm.
Variations:For a Rhubarb Cobbler, replace apples with an additional 2 cups (500 mL) rhubarb.
For Rhubarb Strawberry Cobbler, replace apples with sliced strawberries.
For the Adventurous: Add 1/4 cup (60 mL) minced crystallized ginger to the rhubarb.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||18 % / 198 mg|
|Vitamin C:||17 %|