This is a good recipe for a cooking club as the various steps can be divided up to shorten the preparation time. Once assembled, cover and take home to bake.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 1 h
- 1 lb (450 g) lean ground beef
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic cloves minced
- 2 cans (28 oz /796 mL each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (5 1/2 oz/156 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried basil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (10 mL) salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sugar
- Pepper to taste
- 1 Container (1 lb/450 g) Canadian Ricotta cheese
- 4 cups (1 L) shredded Canadian Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups (750 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
In large saucepan, cook beef, onion and garlic on medium-high heat until meat is browned, about 10 minutes, drain. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, salt, sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook manicotti (in batches) according to package directions; drain, rinse in cold water, drain.
Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Add eggs, parsley, salt and pepper. Fill manicotti shells with cheese filling.
Divide sauce into 6 portions. Spread 1 portion each on the bottom of three 7 x 11 -inch (18 x 28 cm) dishes (or similar size pans that will fit 8 manicotti in a single layer). Arrange 8 stuffed manicotti in each pan. Spread remaining sauce over the manicotti. Cover pans with foil, refrigerate until ready to bake.
Cooking Club Tip:Pack the additional Parmesan cheese separately. Provide these baking instructions with each pan of manicotti. When ready to serve, preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake, uncovered until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.