This recipe is taken from the 1975 Milk Calendar. This is the Basic Pork Mixture recipe.
- Cooking: 1 h
- 3 lbs (1.5 Kg) lean pork shoulder boneless
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cooking oil
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped celery
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
Cut meat into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes. In a large saucepan sauté meat in oil, part at a time, until browned. Return all to saucepan and add water, onion, celery, garlic, and salt. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 1 hour, or until meat is tender. Cool. Skim fat from surface. Divide into three equal 2 cup portions and freeze in plastic containers. Thaw and use as needed.
Note: this recipe is used with Deep Dish Pork Pie, Curried Pork and Pork Paprika