This recipe is taken from the 1983 Milk Calendar. This is the Basic White Sauce recipe.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
Melt butter in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat; blend in flour; cook and stir 2 min.
Lift pan from heat, add milk and whisk until smooth. Season. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Enrich with a little cream and fresh chopped herbs to serve with ham steak, poached fish, chicken or scallops.
- Add tangy cheese and a dash of Tabasco to serve with cooked cauliflower, broccoli or macaroni.
- Add mild shredded Canadian Swiss to serve with crepes, egg dishes, pasta, sole, shrimps, scallops and many vegetables.
- Add curry powder to serve with liver, chicken livers, cooked lamb, eggs and vegetables.
Turnips, cabbage, cauliflower, corn in fact most vegetables will have a mild, sweet taste and a tender texture if cooked in milk. Use the remaining milk in soups, vegetable puree or white sauce for vegetables.