This recipe is taken from the 1994 Milk Calendar. This is the Best Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes recipe.
- Cooking: 1 h 30
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) bread crumbs
- 2 1/4 lbs (1 Kg) lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ketchup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ketchup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- Mashed potatoes
- 3 lbs (1.5 Kg) baking potatoes peeled and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk hot
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped green onions or chives
Heat oil in a medium skillet. Cook onions and garlic until tender. Reserve.
Combine eggs with milk and bread crumbs. Add onion mixture, ground beef, ketchup, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and parsley. Knead together well. Press mixture into a 9 x 5-inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan. Cover with foil. Bake in a preheated 375 °F (190 °C) oven for 1 hour. Combine ketchup with mustard. Brush on top of meatloaf. Bake an additional 30 min, uncovered.
Meanwhile, cook potatoes and garlic in boiling, salted water. Drain well. Mash potatoes and garlic, adding hot milk, butter, salt, pepper and green onions.
Drain off any excess juices from meatloaf before removing from pan. Slice meatloaf and serve with mashed potatoes.
Serve this with ketchup or your favorite mushroom or tomato sauce. Leftovers taste great in sandwiches.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||15 % / 170 mg|