This recipe is for true Blue cheese enthusiasts: a baked ham stuffed with blue cheese. Wow! Plus, the ham is baked in red ale and apple juice, adding generous flavour and aroma to the dish.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 1 h
- 2 oz (60 g) Canadian Blue crumbled
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) melted butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly chopped rosemary
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) bread crumbs
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 small smoked ham about 2 lb (900 g)
- 1 (12 oz/341 mL) bottle of red beer or ale
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pure apple juice
- 1 onion quartered
- 2 carrots cut into disks
- 2 celery stalks cut into large pieces
- 1 bay leaf
Preheat oven to 325 °F (160 °C).
In a bowl, combine Blue cheese, melted butter, rosemary, garlic and bread crumbs. Add pepper to taste.
Place ham in an oven-proof casserole and slash deeply into slices without cutting clean through. Stuff slashes with cheese/bread crumb mixture.
Pour the beer and apple juice into the baking dish. Add vegetables and bay leaf.
Cover and bake 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking another 20 minutes. Carve and serve.
To lower sodium content, boil ham for 30 minutes in a large pot of water. Discard water and proceed with recipe. You can also cover ham with cold water and let soak for 48 hours. Change water often at first, then every 10 to 12 hours.
Cheese variations: Canadian Gouda, Sharp Cheddar or Swiss all provide an appetizing alternative to the original Blue cheese.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||7 % / 78 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||43 %|
|Vitamin B6:||30 %|