Bulgur with Roasted Vegetables
Here’s a different way to prepare seasonal vegetables. Oven roasting and fragrant spices make for a very flavourful dish!
- Prep: 45 min
- Cooking: 1 h 5
- 6 shallots peeled and halved
- 6 carrots in 2-inch (5 cm) sections
- 6 pieces star anise
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) mild paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) olive oil
- 1 can (540 mL) chickpeas drained
- 2 zucchini sliced thickly
- 2 cups (500 mL) hot vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) butter
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) bulgur
- 1/2 cups (125 mL) golden raisins
- 7 oz (200 g) Canadian Feta crumbled
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) preserved lemon in strips (optional)
- Fresh coriander chopped
- Plain yogurt
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
Place shallots, carrots, seasonings and oil in a large baking dish. Bake 40 min, tossing gently halfway through. Add chickpeas, zucchini and hot vegetable broth and bake another 20 min.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Add bulgur and raisins and cook 3 min over low heat.
Add 2 1/4 cups (560 mL) water and salt to taste. Bring to a full boil, reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 20 min or until bulgur is tender.
To serve, arrange roasted vegetables on top of bulgur and garnish with Feta cheese and preserved lemon. Sprinkle with coriander and serve with harissa and yogurt on the side.
Preserved lemon is a staple of Moroccan cuisine that can be found in specialty food shops. The lemons are pickled whole in a brine of salt and water and sold in clear glass jars. Only the zest and pith are used, so remove the pulp before preparing.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||25 % / 279 mg|
|Vitamin A:||64 %|
|Vitamin B12:||35 %|