This recipe is taken from the 1988 Milk Calendar. This is the Caesar Salad with Creamy Garlic Dressing recipe.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dry mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 2 eggs yolks
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Tabasco sauce
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 anchovy fillets minced or 1 tsp (5 mL) anchovy paste
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) olive oil
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
- 4 slices of bacon cooked crisp, drained and crumbled
- 1 cup (250 mL) croutons
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
Combine mustard, flour, salt and pepper in the top of a double boiler. Stir in milk. Beat in egg yolks. Cook over boiling water (or on gentle heat directly on stove), stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat.
Stir in Worcestershire, Tabasco, garlic, anchovies, vinegar and oil. Cool. Refrigerate until ready to use. Just before serving, adjust reasoning if necessary.
Wash and dry lettuce well. Break into bite-sized pieces. Just before serving, toss with enough dressing to coat leaves well. Sprinkle with bacon, croutons and Canadian Parmesan cheese. Toss well.
Note: Any leftover dressing can be stored for one week in the refrigerator. It can be used for potato, pasta or chicken salads.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||9 % / 104 mg|
|Vitamin C:||18 %|
|Vitamin A:||14 %|