Cauliflower au Gratin
This recipe is taken from the 2000 Milk Calendar. The great taste of cauliflower blends well with freshly grated Parmesan and Cheddar cheese. Bell red peppers add just the right colourful touch.
- Prep: 15 min - 20 min
- Cooking: 30 min - 35 min
- A cauliflower cut in florets (about 6 cups/1.5 L)
- 1/2 red bell pepper coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) freshly grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh dill or fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh bread crumbs or 2 tbsp (30 mL) fine dried bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Lightly butter a 6-cup (1.5 L) baking dish.
In pot of boiling water, cook cauliflower for 5 min or until tender-crisp. Drain well and transfer to baking dish; sprinkle with red pepper.
In nonstick or heavy saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and garlic; cook, stirring, over low heat for 1 min. Pour in milk; bring to simmer, stirring constantly. Simmer, stirring, for 2 to 3 min or until thickened. Add Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, dill, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, just until cheese melts. Pour over cauliflower.
Mix bread crumbs with Parmesan; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 min or until bubbling.
Healthy Eating Tip: Adding cheese to your dish is a delicious way to bone-up on calcium. Hard cheeses are an excellent source of calcium. 50 g (1 1/2 oz) of Cheddar cheese meets one-third of your daily calcium needs while 50 g (1 1/2 oz) of Parmesan cheese contains nearly two-thirds of your daily calcium requirement.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||20 % / 223 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||17 %|
|Vitamin C:||100 %|