This is the Cauliflower with St-Pierre de Saurel Mornay sauce recipe.
- Prep: 5 min - 10 min
- Cooking: 10 min - 15 min
- 1 medium-sized cauliflower
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs quartered
- 6 cherry tomatoes halved (optional)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1 3/4 cups (430 mL) Milk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cooking water from vegetables
- 5 oz (150 g) Canadian St-Pierre de Saurel cheese grated
- A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cut cauliflower and broccoli into florets of varying sizes. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook vegetables 5 minutes.
Drain, reserving 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the water to be used in the sauce. Place vegetables and hard-boiled eggs in an ovenproof dish.
In a saucepan, melt butter then add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually incorporate milk mixed with vegetable cooking water and whisk until sauce thickens and becomes smooth. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Blend in three quarters of the Canadian St-Pierre de Saurel cheese, season with pepper, salt (if necessary) and nutmeg.
Preheat broiler. Cover vegetables with sauce and tomatoes (optional). Mix remaining Canadian St-Pierre de Saurel cheese with breadcrumbs and sprinkle over vegetables. Place under broiler until sauce bubbles and becomes nicely browned. Serve immediately.