It works equally well as a light-tasting but hearty supper or as a fresh-from-the-oven appetizer for relaxed cocktails. Earthy, chewy and satisfying.
- Prep: 1 h
- Cooking: 25 min
- 1 homemade milk pizza dough or 1 package (19 oz – 570 g) store-bought pizza dough
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 leeks cut into ½˝ (1 cm) lengths
- 8 oz (225 g) cremini mushrooms halved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried wild mushrooms (chanterelle, cep, shiitake, etc.)
- 7 oz (200 g) Canadian Medium Cheddar grated
- Milk pizza dough
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 1/4 cups (560 mL) flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) instant yeast (quick-rising)
Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Cut parchment paper to fit a 9˝ x 12˝ (23 x 30 cm) baking sheet.
Using a rolling pin, roll out pizza dough on the parchment paper. Transfer to baking sheet and let rise for 30–45 minutes.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat and cook leeks and mushrooms for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
In a mini food processor, grind dried mushrooms until fine and powdery.
Sprinkle pizza dough with a quarter of grated cheese, add leek and mushroom mixture and top with remaining cheese and dried mushroom powder.
Cook on top rack of the oven for 12 minutes.
In a small saucepan, heat milk over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add butter and let melt.
In a bowl, mix flour with sugar, salt and yeast.
Pour in warm milk and butter; stir with a wooden spoon. Knead the dough by hand for 5 minutes.
Shape dough as needed and let rise for 30–45 minutes.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Swiss cheese, Gouda, Provolone.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||28 % / 313 mg|