Perfect with cocktails, your guests will love these meatball hors-d’œuvres served with a fruit sauce, in this case maple-cranberry, served either hot or cold. Plus, every meatball is stuffed with a cube of melted Cheddar cheese. Superb!
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cranberries fresh or frozen
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) maple syrup
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb (450 g) ground lean veal
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 Slice of whole wheat bread crumbled
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh rosemary chopped
- 5 oz (150 g) Medium Cheddar block diced in 1/4-inch (3/4 cm) cubes
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 450 °F (230 °C).
In a small skillet, bring cranberry juice and fruit to a boil along with maple syrup. Cook 8-10 minutes. Purée cranberries until smooth and add salt and pepper. Set aside, keeping warm or at room temperature.
In a bowl, mix veal, egg, bread crumbs and rosemary. Season generously.
Shape small meatballs by coating the diced Cheddar cheese with the meat mixture; it should be entirely coated.
Arrange meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place on top oven rack; cook 8-10 minutes or until golden and fully cooked. Warning: do not overcook as cheese will melt and seep away.
Serve warm, with the cranberry sauce as dip.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||14 % / 158 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||50 %|