Meatloaf gets a makeover! In the highly original recipe, apples and cheese – which go so well together – blend their flavours to perfection. Made with ground chicken and veal, every slice of meatloaf reveals big cubes of melted cheese. Pleasure in every bite!
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 50 min - 1 h 50
- 2 lb (900 g) ground chicken
- 1 lb (450 g) lean ground veal
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) apples peeled and diced
- 6 oz (180 g) Canadian Brick cheese diced
- A few pinches of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ketchup or barbecue sauce
- 1/2 onion finely sliced
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
In a large bowl, mix chicken with veal, garlic, bread crumbs, apples and Brick cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Press into a 9 x 5-inch (23 cm x 13 cm) loaf pan and cook in the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix applesauce with ketchup or barbecue sauce and onion. Brush top of meat loaf with applesauce mixture and bake 20 minutes more.*
*Before serving, use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature has reached a minimum of 165 °F (75 °C).
Some of the best apple varieties to cook with are Gala and Cortland because of their good sweet-tart balance and ability to hold their shape as they cook.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Swiss cheese, Cheddar, Havarti, Mozzarella.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||18 % / 201 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||86 %|
|Vitamin B6:||49 %|