This recipe is taken from the 1998 Milk Calendar. Easy on the cook, this rice dish is a great one-pan family style meal.
- James Barber
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 30 min - 35 min
- 1 lb (450 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 8 oz (250 g) sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1 cup (250 mL) long-grain rice
- 2 1/4 cups (560 mL) Milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) diagonally cut carrots
- 1 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cashews or almonds toasted and chopped
Cut chicken into 1 inch (2 1/2 cm) cubes.
In a large skillet, cook chicken in butter over medium heat until chicken is lightly browned on all sides. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic; cook until onion is softened. Add cornstarch and rice and cook for 2 minutes.
Stir in milk, carrots, pepper strips, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Just before serving, sprinkle with cashews.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||14 % / 157 mg|
|Vitamin C:||79 %|
|Vitamin A:||46 %|