This fresh take on our classic Chicken Fajitas Wraps comes complete with all four food groups and can be made with either cheddar or monterey jack cheese. This recipe is taken from the 2012 Milk Calendar.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 12 min
- 2 plum (Roma) tomatoes diced
- 1/2 sweet red pepper diced
- 1/2 avocado diced (optional)
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Canadian Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless skinless chicken cut in thin strips
- 2 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried oregano
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 4 to 6 large whole wheat flour tortillas warmed
- Torn lettuce leaves
In a bowl, combine tomato, red pepper, avocado, jalapeño, cheese, lime juice and a 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt; set aside.
In large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat; sauté onion for 3 min or until softened and starting to brown. Add chicken, chili powder, chipotle, oregano and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt; sauté for 5 min until chicken is no longer pink inside.
Whisk flour into milk until smooth; gradually stir into skillet. Simmer, stirring, for 3 min or until bubbling and thickened. Line tortillas with lettuce and spoon filling on top along centre; top with fresh salsa. Fold up bottom of tortilla then fold sides to enclose filling.
Look for chipotle peppers in cans in the Mexican or Latin sections of grocery stores. If you don’t have canned chipotles, you can use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp (1 to 2 mL) chipotle powder, available in the spice section or at bulk stores.
Tip for Kids: If your kids prefer a mild fajita, reduce the chili powder to 1 tbsp (15 mL) and omit the chipotle peppers.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||19 % / 206 mg|
|Vitamin B6:||50 %|
|Vitamin C:||49 %|