A new twist on a traditional family favourite! A complete meal in a bowl ready in minutes that features chicken and the any day magic of cream.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 lb (450 g) boneless skinless chicken cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 each sweet green and red pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 28 oz (796 mL) 1 can diced tomatoes
- 19 oz (540 mL) 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 19 oz (540 mL) 1 can white pea beans drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) 10% half-and-half cream
- 1 cup (250 mL) corn kernels
- pepper to taste
- Diced avocado
- Fresh lime wedges
In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken and transfer to plate. Add onion, peppers, chili powder, oregano and cumin; sauté for 5 min or until vegetables are softened.
Add tomatoes, black and white beans and tomato paste; bring to boil. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, for about 10 min or until thickened. Whisk flour into cream; gradually stir into pot. Add corn and cooked chicken; simmer, stirring, until thickened and chicken is no longer pink inside. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle servings with avocado and add lime wedges to squeeze over top.
For the Vegetarian: Omit chicken. Add 2 diced carrots and 1 chopped zucchini along with other vegetables.
*For a smoky heat, add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp (1 to 2 mL) chipotle powder with the chili powder or season each serving with chipotle hot sauce.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||20 % / 220 mg|
|Vitamin B6:||68 %|
|Vitamin C:||112 %|