Bursting with delicious flavour, these ultra-luscious chocolate and peanut butter tarts will bring a smile to the little ones...and to their parents as well. Indulge your loved ones – and your sweet tooth! – with these easy-to-make tarts, sure to become a hit during the holiday season.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 10 min - 15 min
- Refrigeration: 1 h
- Tart Dough
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter cubed
- 3 egg yolks lightly beaten
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 30 mL) water
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) crunchy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) Canadian Cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) lightly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) 35 % cream
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted peanuts roasted and chopped
- Chocolate shavings
In a medium bowl combine first four ingredients. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg yolks and vanilla extract and mix until dough forms, adding water if necessary. Remove from bowl, shape into a disc; wrap and chill for approximately 1 hour.
Roll dough on lightly floured board to 1/8 inch (3 mm) thickness and cut rounds or 3 1/2 inch (7.6 cm) squares. Pat into tart pans or medium size muffin tins. Scraps can be rerolled until all tart dough is used.
Bake at 375° F (190° C) for 10 to 11 minutes. Remove from oven and allow cooling.
In a medium bowl, cream the peanut butter, Cream cheese and sugar together with an electric mixer on medium low speed until smooth and fluffy.
In another bowl, whip cream and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into peanut butter mixture in three stages; ensuring ingredients are thoroughly blended after the first addition.
Spoon into tart shells and garnish with chopped peanuts and chocolate shavings. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve.
Recipe created by: Katie Blackmore, Student, NAIT Culinary Arts
Pastry may also be mixed in a food processor.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||3 % / 28 mg|
|Vitamin E:||12 %|