An impressive make-ahead finale.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- Refrigeration: 1 h
- 1/3 pkg phyllo dough thawed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter melted
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) water
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) dried cranberries
- 4 oz (120 g) white chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 35 % cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated orange peel
- Cranberry Coulis
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh or frozen cranberries or 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) water
- 2 oranges in segments*
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
Slice phyllo into 1/2-inch (2 1/2 cm) ribbons. In large bowl, gently toss phyllo with your hands to separate ribbon layers.
Melt butter and sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves. Drizzle 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter mixture over phyllo and toss gently. Repeat.On 2 buttered cookie sheets, divide phyllo evenly into 18 loose piles. Shape each into round nests, 3 1/2 inch (9 cm) across. Drizzle with remaining butter mixture. Bake 10 min until golden and crisp. Cool.
In small saucepan, bring water and dried cranberries to a boil. Cool and drain. Meanwhile, melt chocolate with 1/4 cup (60 mL) cream in microwave until smooth. Stir in orange peel. Cool. Beat remaining cream (1-1/4 cups/ 310 mL) to soft peaks and gently fold chocolate into whipped cream. Stir in dried cranberries. Cover and chill.
In small saucepan bring fresh cranberries, sugar and water to boil. Cover and simmer 10 min. Strain through sieve. Cool.
Spoon coulis onto dessert plate. Top with phyllo nests and a spoonful of chocolate filling. Repeat. Top with third phyllo nests. Garnish with oranges segments.
* Cut off peel and white pith from oranges. Holding them over a bowl, cut segments from between membranes. Drain and set aside.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||11 % / 122 mg|
|Vitamin A:||31 %|
|Vitamin C:||43 %|
|Vitamin D:||15 %|