This recipe is taken from the 1994 Milk Calendar. This is the Coconut Cream Pie recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- Refrigeration: 4 h
- 1 pouch (1/4 oz/7 g) unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cold water
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cornstarch
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sweet shredded coconut
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35 % cream
- 9 inch (23 cm) 1 pie crust fully baked
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 35 % cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) icing sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sweet shredded coconut lightly toasted
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In a medium saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water. Allow to soften 5 min. Heat gently just until dissolved.
In a medium-sized bowl, beat eggs with sugar until combined. Whisk in cornstarch. Whisk in milk. Whisk in dissolved gelatin. Transfer mixture to a saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, just until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract and 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) untoasted coconut. Cool to room temperature.
Whip cream until light. Fold into cooled custard. Mound into the fully baked pie crust. Refrigerate.
Whip remaining cream with icing sugar. Pipe or spoon around the edges of the pie. Sprinkle the top with toasted coconut. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
If you have excess filling, spoon it into a dessert bowl for another treat.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||15 % / 161 mg|
|Vitamin A:||31 %|
|Vitamin B12:||27 %|
|Vitamin D:||20 %|