By Chef Ned Bell
This is a delicious and very versatile dish. It makes a fantastic side dish or tasty main course. Succotash is basically a warm ragout of different end-of-season/harvest ingredients and this version is a celebration of summer and fall veggies.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 40 min - 45 min
- Bell Pepper Jam
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) diced red bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) diced yellow bell peppers
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) honey
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sea salt
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 3 cups (750 mL) corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced red bell peppers
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced yellow bell peppers
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) diced shallots or red onions
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced (optional)
- 2 cups (500 mL) rinsed and drained canned chick or black-eye peas
- 2 cups (500) diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped green onions
- 1 cup (250 mL) crumbled Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Bella Casara Ricotta
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Bell Pepper Jam:
In a small pot, combine red and yellow peppers, honey, vinegar, and salt; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce and simmer until peppers are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly. In blender or food processor, puree until smooth. Cover and refrigerate to chill (jam will thicken).
: In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add corn, red and yellow peppers, shallots, salt, and jalapeño, if using; cook stirring frequently for 10 minutes or until tender. Add chick peas and cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Stir in zucchini and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add green onions and cook for 1 minute. Serve immediately or cool.
Spoon succotash onto serving plates; top with Cheddar, Ricotta and a dollop of bell pepper jam and enjoy! Serve with corn bread or your favorite loaf of bread.
The bell pepper jam makes a great dip, side accompaniment, spread, or relish.
Substitute diced and roasted butternut squash for the zucchini.
Try using your favourite Canadian Ricotta and a medium or sharp Canadian Cheddar.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||21 % / 226 mg|
|Vitamin A:||30 %|
|Vitamin B6:||32 %|
|Vitamin C:||233 %|