This recipe is taken from the 2009 Milk Calendar. Cranberries, flax seeds, milk and yogourt make these moist and delicious muffins a powerhouse of nutrition.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min - 25 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) plain yogurt (not fat-free)
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ground flax seeds
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter melted
- Extra dried cranberries optional
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Butter a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan or line with paper liners.
In a bowl, combine cranberries, milk and yogourt. In a large bowl, combine flours, flax seeds, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Whisk sugar, egg, and butter into milk mixture; pour over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Press a few extra cranberries gently into tops if desired. Bake for 20 to 25 min or until tops are firm to the touch. Let cool in pan for 10 min. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
To make mini muffins: butter nonstick miniature muffin pans or line with paper liners. Spoon batter into pans mounding as necessary to fill 24 deep cups or 36 shallow cups. Bake for 15 to 18 min or until tops are firm to the touch. Let cool in pans for 5 min.
For the Adventurous: Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped crystallized ginger with cranberries.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||7 % / 73 mg|